Friday, July 13, 2007

Backlash Against Antidepressant Medication

Today's Wall Street Journal carries an interesting article on how a backlash against antidepressant medication is leading consumers to consider alternative therapies from accupuncture to yoga (not quite A-Z, but hey, I tried to sparkle).

These stories tend to unnerve me, because in my limited but non-trivial clinical experience, my impression was definitely that more people could benefit from antidepressants and that even when they were prescribed, people tended to take them only off and on and to stop taking them far too soon.

Accupunture is swell. Yoga? The cat's pajamas. Meditation? Absoloutely the best. But I can't help but think that all of these things in conjunction with a proper antidepressant would help lots of depressed people.

No comments: